|Total Knee replacements|
If nonsurgical treatments like medications and using walking supports are no longer helpful, you may want to consider total knee replacement surgery. Joint replacement surgery is a safe and effective procedure to relieve pain, correct leg deformity, and help you resume normal activities. Severe osteoarthritis is the commonest indication for knee replacement.
I have performed more than 400 successful total Knee replacement surgery. Most of my patients are doing well. The youngest patient to have had TKR was 40years and oldest was 85years old.
|Why do you need Knee Replacement Surgery|
- Severe knee pain or stiffness that limits your everyday activities, including walking, climbing stairs, and getting in and out of chairs. You may find it hard to walk more than a few blocks without significant pain and you may need to use a cane or walker
- Moderate or severe knee pain while resting, either day or night
- Chronic knee inflammation and swelling that does not improve with rest or medications
- Knee deformity — a bowing in or out of your knee
- Failure to substantially improve with other treatments such as anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone injections, lubricating injections, physical therapy, or other surgeries
- An important factor in deciding whether to have total knee replacement surgery is understanding what the procedure can and cannot do.
- More than 90% of people who have total knee replacement surgery experience a dramatic reduction of knee pain and a significant improvement in the ability to perform common activities of daily living. But total knee replacement will not allow you to do more than you could before you developed arthritis.
- We advise against high-impact activities such as running, jogging, jumping, or other high-impact sports for the rest of your life after surgery.
- Realistic activities following total knee replacement include unlimited walking, swimming, golf, driving, light hiking, biking, ballroom dancing, and other low-impact sports.
- With appropriate activity modification, knee replacements can last for many years.